Last week one of pop cultures greatest icons celebrated a milestone... Superman! The Man Of Steel celebrated his 75th birthday and hasn't looked better.
This June will see the release of what looks like it could be the best Superman film ever, 'Superman Man Of Steel'!
Despite the fact that in print, Superman comics are in a bit of flux, I'm here to celebrate all that's good about Superman in print by counting down Superman must - reads!
1. 'Action Comics' # 775 - Recently made into a animated film, this Joe Kelly written story (drawn by Doug Mahnke and a host of others) is the embodiment all that is great about Superman and what makes him such an amazing character when written right.
2. 'Superman Man of Steel' # 1 - 6 (mini series) - In 1986, John Byrne shocked the world with his modern (at the time) retelling of his origin and his first few years as Superman. This series is pure magic.
3. 'Superman' # 1 - 22 (vol. II) - Following the release of the Man Of Steel mini series, Byrne began a journey of re introducing Superman and his core group as well as his greatest villains. This is what I wish Superman would be like again.
4. 'Superman' (vol.I) # 199. The first Superman story I ever read. This is the first (and best race Sups had with the Flash. Written by a young Jim Shooter and drawn by Carmine Infantiono and Murphy Anderson, this one is pure classic!
5. 'Superman Annual' # 1 (1987) - This was a book that seriously made me cry. Written by Byrne and drawn by Ron Frenz and inks by Brett Breeding, we meet a cute little monkey Titano, who because of experiments becomes larger than a city and tries to destroy Metropolis.
So there are my picks... how about you?