1. Monty Python – Everything begins and ends with the Beatles of comedy! They are the greatest comedy troupe of all time. Their comedy is catchy, immature and very smart all at the same time. With over 100 episodes of TV gold, Monty Python’s Flying Circus not only paved the way for some brilliant careers, but some incredible films.
2. The Office – Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant began their careers here and along the way, perfected the fake documentary style of show. If it wasn’t for this series we wouldn’t have the US hit and Steve Carell and John Krasinski wouldn’t have careers. David Brent is the worst boss ever!
3. Chef – Pure brilliance wrapped into 20 episodes! Lenny Henry is a gourmet chef running a restaurant and his tyrannical personality makes it a must watch. An amazing cast of characters and until I saw the Office, this was my favorite non Python show.
4. The Young Ones – Four mismatched roommates who didn’t get along and some great musical guests made this show a British institution! It’s offbeat, a bit political and completely insane. I can only describe it as the Clash meets the Three Stooges with a very lose plot!
5. Mr. Bean – For only 14 episodes, Rowan Atkinson was a socially awkward kid trapped in a man’s body. He wasn’t very bright and would always make a bad situation worse. But, there were moments that Mr. Bean was incredibly charming.